Sunday, September 27, 2015

Congratulations! Your Son Is A Pansy

I don't get this new series of TV commercials by GE. Do you? Please explain it to me. The whole series revolves around stereotypical cliches about engineers/nerds. You can't lift a hammer. You aren't writing cools apps. Etc. Etc. 
The secret sauce of any advertisement / commercial is that it taps... somehow... the aspirations of the target audience. So tell me, who is the target audience? What is their aspiration? For me, this ad does nothing but diminish high intelligence people, thus elevating those of average-to-low intelligence. Tell me, who do you want engineering the car you drive to work in the morning. Someone who can lift a heavy hammer or someone who can wield a mean slide rule? This is the essence of Radical Center.

No comments:

Post a Comment